PREP stands for Preparing, Resourcing, Encouraging, and Praising. Mennonite Women USA invites all women from across the United States to a resource gathering and networking retreat every two years. Our next event will be held in summer, 2018.
Here’s a brief history of PREP themes during our resource gathering meetings:
- 2016: “Empowering Women: Money, Health and Faith” with resourcing from Rhoda Blough and Teresa Boshart Yoder of Everence was held on August 12-13, at Peace Mennonite, Aurora, Colorado.
- 2015: “Sister Care Leader Training”
- 2013: “Celebrating Our Spiritual DnA” with speaker, Nadine Friesen, was held at Whitestone Mennonite Church in Hesston, Kansas, August 23-24, 2013. PREP was hosted by MW USA with South Central and Western District Conference Mennonite Women.
- 2012: “Gifts from the Sea” was held at Bahia Vista Mennonite Church in Sarasota, Florida, February 24-25, 2012. PREP was hosted by MW USA with Southeast Conference Mennonite Women.
- 2010: “The Fields Are Ripe: Focusing Our Mission,” was held at Bethesda Mennonite Church in Henderson, Nebraska, August 27-28 with speaker Sharon Kennel, Central Plains Conference minister. PREP was hosted by MW USA with Central Plains Mennonite Women.
- 2009: “Flowers in the Desert” asked the question, why Sister Care, with speaker Carolyn Holderread Heggen; discussed pros and cons of electronic communication with Shane Hipps, pastor, Trinity Mennonite Church, Phoenix, Arizona.
- 2008: “A Caring Presence” explored Mennonite Women in the congregation in terms of caring (for self and others); Cheryl Hollinger spoke on mentoring, there was a report on Sister Care in Franklin and Virginia at the MCC Welcoming Place, Akron, Pennsylvania.
- 2007: “Listening with Love” discussed the importance of our stories with Joan Boyer and MW USA staff; the idea of Sister Care was introduced. Retreat took place at the Dyck Arboretum of the Plains, Hesston, Kansas.
- 2006: “Seeing Ourselves as Spiritual Leaders” focused on the Circle of Women and Four Spiritual Generations and Prayer Shawls via Sister-Link at the Bay Shore Mennonite Church, Sarasota, Florida.
- 2005: “Leading from Within” with input from Lee Schmucker, groups worked on updating governance. Took place at the Dyck Arboretum of the Plains, Hesston, Kansas.
- 2004: “Importance of Two” Naomi and Ruth lead, building a team. More Sister-Link stories at the MCC Welcoming Place, Akron, Pennsylvania.
- 2003: “Balancing Mary and Martha” included a drama by Brenda Glanzer Lilliston. Sister-Link stories at the Dyck Arboretum of the Plains, Hesston, Kansas.
- 2002: “Letting Go and Holding On” discussion of self care for leaders with bread baking; there was a Bible story, a skit of “the woman at the well,” and the idea of Sister-Link was introduced. Took place at the Dyck Arboretum of the Plains, Hesston, Kansas.
- 2001: “What is our Mission?” During this PREP Mennonite Women and Canadian Women in Mission were restructuring into separate national organizations, guest speaker Susan J. Jantzen at the Bethel College Mennonite Church, Newton, Kansas.
- 2000: “A Look at Leadership” included input from Dottie Jantzen and met at Bethel College Mennonite Church, Newton, Kansas.
- 1999: “Reflections on Lydia-the Worshipper, the Listener, the Receiver” held at Bethel College Mennonite Church, Newton, Kansas.