I. Title: Executive Director
II. Preamble—The executive director shall:
- Provide leadership and direction to actualize the mission and vision of Mennonite Women USA.
- Carry through with initiatives that seek to support and represent the diversity of women in Mennonite Church USA.
- Seek to maintain and build positive relationships between Mennonite Women USA and other Mennonite organizations and Christian women’s organizations.
III. Accountability — The executive director is accountable to the chair of the board of directors and will relate directly to the chair of the board.
IV. Qualifications and desired skills
- Clear Christian commitment.
- Understanding, commitment, and readiness to promote the mission and vision of Mennonite Women USA and Mennonite Church USA.
- Desire and ability to foster, resource, and nurture established women’s groups and new initiatives.
- Ability to coordinate activities of an office.
- Ability to provide supervision and direction for staff.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Relationship skills for working with persons of diverse backgrounds.
- Verbal and written skills including public speaking.
- Ability to set and follow through on goals.
- Readiness to travel as part of the role.
V. Terms of Employment: Full-time
- Provide leadership and direction to actualize the mission and vision of Mennonite Women USA by connecting globally, providing resources, and speaking prophetically.
- Develop resources for Mennonite women and Mennonite women’s groups:
- Envision needed resources for women and seek to implement these resources.
- Lead the communication between the MW USA office and leaders of the conference women’s organizations:
- Plan Empowering Women event (formerly PREP) every other year
- Schedule phone calls and sending letters for encouragement and visioning;
- Visit conference women’s gatherings;
- Coordinate annual communications.
- Accept speaking engagements on behalf of MW USA.
- Coordinate the International Women’s Fund (IWF) scholarship program, present applications to the board, advise the board sub-committee in the selection of recipients for IWF funds, and communicate with referral agencies and recipients.
- Plan programming for Mennonite Church USA conventions.
- Collaborate with the Women in Leadership Project.
- Integrate Sister Care communications into overall ministry working with Sister Care Director.
- Provide leadership in fund-raising for the organization including annual fund and endowment fund.
- Build relationships with Lydia and Miriam Circle donors and churches.
- Write annual spring and fall appeal letters.
- Serve as chair of the board Advancement committee.
- Meet with groups of women to share about the ministry of MW USA.
- Write grants working with other staff.
- Oversee production of all MW USA publications and promotional materials:
- Serve as consultant to editor for Timbrel
- Write a quarterly column for Timbrel.
- Attend the Communication Advisory Council meetings
- Oversee production of annual Bible study guide (BSG).
- Provide leadership for the Bible Study Advisory Council (BSAC) annual meetings collaborating with Mennonite Women Canada.
- Give leadership to Grapevine, the monthly e-newsletter.
- Produce promotional material, web site information, and social media communication working with other staff.
- Provide leadership in speaking prophetically to women’s issues.
- Administer office tasks:
- Administer all aspects of MW USA staff employment, including hiring, evaluating, and providing supervision for staff.
- Coordinate regularly scheduled meetings for MW USA staff.
- Oversee the flow of office tasks generated from publications, correspondence, and financial activity.
- Update MW USA procedures manual biennially
- Coordinate the financial activity of Mennonite Women USA:
- Prepare annual budget in consultation with board treasurer
- Monitor budget expenditures, contributions and subscription income.
- Calculate publication sharing amount annually from Mennonite Women Canada.
- Monitor Missionary Pension fund for annual disbursement to Mennonite Mission Network.
- Participate in MW USA board meetings and functions:
- Oversee board meeting logistics.
- Work with board chair on formation of board agenda.
- Serve as a member of the Finance committee.
- Attend Constituency Leadership Council (CLC).
Build strong and positive relationships with the broader church including Mennonite Church USA staff, Mennonite World Conference, and other Mennonite organizations and agencies.